Date: September 16, 2008
To: WJBD Radio
Salem Times Commoner
Cc: Mayor and City Council
NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
OF SALEM CITY COUNCIL
SEPTEMBER 22, 2008
PURSUANT TO THE OPEN MEETINGS ACT, notice is hereby given that the Salem City Council will meet at 6:00 P.M., Monday, September 22, 2008 in the Council Chambers of Salem City Hall, 101 South Broadway Salem, Illinois, for the following purpose:
1. Swim Pool Design – Informational Meeting
CITY OF SALEM, ILLINOIS
Dated this 16th day of June 2008.
SPECIAL MEETING OF CITY COUNCIL
SWIM POOL DESIGN - INFORMATIONAL MEETING
SEPTEMBER 22, 2008
The Salem City Council met on Monday, September 22, 2008 at the hour of 6:00 p.m. in the Council Chambers of Salem City Hall, 101 S. Broadway Salem, IL 62881 for the purpose of conducting an informal meeting to discuss the proposed new swimming pool design.
The meeting was called to order by Mayor Leonard E. Ferguson.
Council Members present:
Councilman Tom Carr
Councilman Joe Hotze
Councilman Harold Blank
Councilman David Black
Mayor Leonard E. Ferguson
City Manager Thomas F. Christie
City Clerk Jane Marshall
Finance Director Marilyn Shook
Assistant City Manager Bev West
Scott Hester with Counsilman-Hunsaker
The Media – Salem Times Commoner and WJBD Radio
Several members of the Public
Scott Hester with Counsilman-Hunsaker presented a power point presentation including Review of Project Timeline, Past Meeting Notes, Aquatic Amenity Priority listing, Concepts Drawings and Probable Costs, review of directions received, Site Pool Options, OSLAD Grant Plan, Therapy Pool Meeting Summary and notes, and Current Site Plan along with Schematic Budget for outdoor aquatic facility and alternate bid items.
· Placement of Parking Lot
· Bathhouse Location
· Combined Therapy Pool, bath house, and locker rooms
· Elimination of flow through traffic
· Seating area for observers at swim team events
· OSLAD Grant
· Size of therapy pool
· Grill and vent for concession area
· Family dressing rooms
· Door from life guard area to family dressing room
· Size of doors
· Lockers outside
· Concern about layout of bath house – security issue
· Possibility of hospital use of therapy pool for block of 4 hours
· Water temperature adjustment for therapy pool
· Staffing for therapy pool
· Water depth of therapy pool
· Move fence line between the therapy pool and the outdoor pool
· Additional storage area for Swim Team supplies
· Usage of the Concession Area by the Swim Team
· Emergency Vehicles need for access of closed roadway – Mr. Hester indicated that emergency vehicles could get through this area; it is designed as a green space.
· Several persons in attendance were in favor of the design to close the road to through traffic.
· Mayor Ferguson and Councilman Hotze recommended that the road be left open to through traffic.
· Councilman Carr spoke in favor of leaving the design as presented for the roadway area
· Councilman Black suggested putting a cul-de-sac or a median in the roadway area
Mr. Hester indicated that the plans will be 99% completed by the first of the year and may take 3 to 6 months to get the permit – plan to bid the job in May or June.
Mr. Hester needs to have approval to move forward with the next phase of the design as soon as possible.
Council requested that Mr. Hester bring back a design addressing the following:
· The roadway open to through traffic
· Additional storage area
· Concession area with vent and grill
· Area for additional seating for spectators at swim team events
· Landscaping area at south end of parking lot
Meeting closed at 8:15 p.m.
Jane Marshall, CMC
Reviewed by City Council 10/06/2008.