Household Curbside Garbage Collection Policy
- Weekly garbage pickup is limited to general household garbage that may be contained in a space equivalent of six, 33-gallon garbage containers or bags.
- Garbage should be placed within bags that are closed or tied. Loose garbage may not be picked up. Garbage found to be spilled, blown, or dragged upon arrival for pickup won’t be collected. The decision for what will or won’t be picked up is made solely by the City’s garbage hauler.
- Garbage must be placed curbside by midnight before day of pickup.
- Large, bulky items are not collected. These items include household furnishing, rugs, carpets, mattresses, bedsprings, or any other waste not considered typical household waste.
- Per IEPA landfill bans, the following items shall not be collected weekly by the City’s garbage service: appliances, batteries, construction debris ,electronics, oil, paint, solvent, tires, and yard waste.
- As a service to the community, the City annually arranges for a City-wide cleanup in which bulky items are collected. Additionally, the City is working to schedule semi-annual electronics recycling events for items with cords that are not eligible for the weekly garbage pickup. The City also collects yard waste weekly and performs leaf vacuuming in the fall and spring.
City of Salem •101 S. Broadway •618-548-2222