Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.

Frequently Asked Questions
Zoning Board of Appeals
How do I request a setback variance?

If you have applied for a building permit and your application has been denied because you have a hardship that will prevent you from meeting the setback requirements, you can apply for a variance from the Zoning Board of Appeals.  Once a variance application is received, notices are published in the Legal Section of the Salem Times-Commoner and mailed to the affected adjacent property owners.  The petition is heard by the Zoning Board of Appeals and a decision made regarding the request.  A variance request does not require Council action.